Patient Experience highlights UHN’s commitment to being compassionate, collaborative and responsive to individual patient needs and preferences. Over the past year, we have merged several programs into the Patient Experience portfolio to create opportunities for enhanced collaboration. These programs include Patient and Family Education, myUHN Patient Portal, Patient Partnerships, Patient Relations, Interpretation and Translation Services and Bioethics. These teams are now set-up to work closely together to support UHN’s primary value: the needs of patients come first.
The Patient Experience portfolio’s primary purpose is to provide leadership to UHN service providers to enable them to partner more closely with patients and family caregivers. At the decision-making level of the organization, we are partnering closely with patients and family caregivers to ensure we are always providing high-quality, safe care experiences. At the point-of-care, this requires all UHN employees to be developing respectful partnerships by using plain language, encouraging self-management and communicating clearly and openly in every encounter.
The Patient Experience Roadmap
2016 to 2018:
The Patient Experience Roadmap responds to the Accreditation Canada patient-centred care standards, as well as several Ontario Ministry of Health and Health Quality Ontario legislated requirements including the Excellent Care for All Act (ECFAA), the Patients First Action Plan, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA) and the creation of the provincial Office of the Patient Ombudsman. The Roadmap is designed to be sensitive to the evolving patient-centred care landscape in the province and aspires to exceed the expectations of Ontarians.
This year we will continue to use the 2016-18 Patient Experience Roadmap as our guide and will be creating new measurement tools and strategies to ensure we are following a clear, consistent path that is always dictated by what is most important to patients in their care.
- Create an Office of Patient Experience to enhance care and service
- Expand patient and caregiver engagement and impact
- Measure patient experience intelligence
- Hold inaugural Patient Experience Week to build awareness and enhance the culture at UHN
- Establish an Office for Patient Experience as a central hub for all activities in portfolio
- Increase engagement of patients and families at the point-of-care
- Patient Engagement Measurement Tool selected and implemented to evaluate the Patient Partners program
- Develop a dashboard for the Patient Experience team to clarify opportunities for improvement
- Continue to implement and develop engagement plans for patient experience, Caring Safely and governance activities
- Distribute the Canadian Patient Experience Survey Tool results across UHN to enable quality improvement
- Select and implement at the point-of-care a Patient Experience Measurement Tool to evaluate the patient experience
The Patient Experience portfolio had a productive first quarter, including the launch of our first Patient Experience Week at UHN. This week kicked-off a renewed awareness of the work and the services we provide across all UHN sites. With strategic planning underway, the Patient Experience team held five engagement sessions in June with patients, caregivers and staff to shape what the future of patient experience should look like at UHN. We continue to work as a broader team to support the integration of patients and family caregivers into organizational-decision making and build opportunities for patients to be more directly involved in their personal care and health decisions.
- Held Patient Experience Week in April
- Integrated Patient Relations team into Patient Engagement portfolio in May
- myUHN Patient Portal now has 21,000+ registrants
- Patient Partner Program was involved in 29 activities this quarter, and had five new Partners on-boarded
- Focus will be given over the upcoming quarter to manage the volumes of Patient Partner requests, increasing registrations offered in ambulatory services to the myUHN Patient Portal and determining next steps with regards to Patient Experience measurement
Mike Nader (Lead)
Executive Vice President and Chief Operating Officer
Executive Vice President and Chief Medical Officer
- Joy Richards
- Ann Heesters
- Laura Williams
*names are still being added/confirmed